Damaged picture frames
It never ceases to amaze how many picture frames get damaged. The causes of such damage vary greatly, but the query “Could you please clean and repair my picture frame?” usually remains consistent.
Frames get damaged:
- During transportation when moving house
- While in storage, such as when a picture is placed in the box-room or attic
- Wire breakage or nails coming loose from the wall
- Rarely, the hooks detach from the frame
- Accidental bumping or knocking off the wall while dusting
- When rearranging a room, furniture collides with the frame
Repair vs re-frame
Depending on the extent of the damage, repairing the frame can offer a more cost-effective solution compared to replacing it, especially if the client wishes to retain a similar style of molding. However, cost is often not the primary reason for choosing repair. Many, if not most, clients view the frame as an integral part of the painting’s history. They would never entertain the idea of changing the frame because they have developed a profound attachment to the complete item—the frame and the painting—which they have come to cherish.
In case there is any doubt – mostly the answer to the often asked question is Yes! But we do need to see the damaged frame, or some good quality photos, before committing one way or the other.
Another frame to clean and repair
This picture and frame came in to the shop recently. As you can see from the ‘before’ images it had suffered a number of small knocks over time and was in sore need of some TLC. We, and the client, were very happy with the finished job.