Framing Process & Techniques
Giving you an appreciation of the basic techniques involved
Setting the scene
Gadsby’s provide specialist high quality picture framing for discerning customers across the country. Nationwide there are few companies that can match Gadsby’s experience and expertise, now including vacuum-creating compressed air systems to provide even pressure across a picture surface. The three major steps of the framing process are outlined below.
Mounting (Backing Board)
Many pictures* are mounted onto neutral PH backing board to prevent sagging & warping. This is a decision to be taken by each customer as the process can reduce the value of originals as the mounting process is not reversible.
- Each picture / backing board can be trimmed to size – if required
- The picture and backing board are then sandwiched together with a heat sensitive acid free adhesive film between them.
- The sandwich is then put into a warm vacuum press to bond the board to the picture.
*Pictures which are mounted are generally Photos, Posters etc. Original watercolours, acrylics or oils are rarely mounted as the process is not reversible and can significantly reduce the resale value of a piece of art.
Each frame is made from scratch for the picture (or other item) being framed.
- The moulding / frame is cut using mitring machine to ensure perfect corners
- Frame segments are then joined
- corners are glued for added strength (not done by all framers)
- hydraulic underpinning machine pins segments together
The finishing processes put everything together and deliver the beautiful finished framed artwork.
- Mounts are cut to size and bevelled as required
- Glass is cut to size
- Put it all together – fit all the component elements together
- Seal the finished job with framers tape to ensure no dust can get in over the years
- Addition of hanging loops and wire, if required
Framing process for other articles – not pictures
When framing three dimensional objects the steps for the process are pretty much the same as for pictures. However, the building of the frame can be significantly more complicated.
Framing related services
Sometimes you might not have the item ready for framing or need other services. Gadsby’s Leicester are happy to provide such things as:
- Frame as a stretched canvas (i.e. no frame visible)
- Stretching blank canvases to size
- Provision of empty frames for you to fit your own picture into (with or without glass & backing boards etc)
- Stretching of oil paintings
- Stretching and framing of tapestries, cross-stitch or needle-point
- Gold & silver filleting incorporated into the mount
- Replacement of broken glass into existing frame
- Fitting of non-reflective glass, perspex or UV glass
Some recent framing commissions
The clients for these pieces have given their permission for us to show the image.
“Gadsby’s recently framed a photo montage poster for our parent’s 40th wedding anniversary – their service, quality of product and price were brilliant! Thank you!”
“Love it here , very lovely staff that are very helpful and make sure you get everything you need . Will be a repeating customer.”
Get In Touch
If you can't make it into the shop (9.30 to 4.00 Mon. to Sat.) then please feel free to call us or send your question using the form or email
22 Market Place
0116 251 7792
During shop opening times
Mon - Sat 9.30-4.00